PDA

View Full Version : Trinity 1/26,27/07

arbolado
01-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Ran up to the Trinity (and stopped at Kiene's on the way up) this past weekend to fish with a guide on Friday and Saturday. It was cold and the water was low. In the AM when we pushed out of Bucktail it was 27 degrees at 9 AM. It was 43 degrees when we got out at Steel Bridge at 5 PM. I understand that they are only releasing 260 cfs from the dam tight now.

Saw lots us fish including a half dozen or so spawning pairs in the two days on the water. Friday was quite a day as we boated 11 fish. I went 7 for 8 and my dad landed 4. Included were 2 wild fish and two fish with tags in them. All were landed on either a sz 10 poxy back hares ear or a sz 16 copper john. My largest according to the guide was a good 10 pounds.

Saturday was another story. I ended going 1 for 4 and my day went 2 for 3. The guide said I had a steelhead reality check. Both days my dad got a nice brown in the 16-18 inch range.

All in all a great trip with 14 fish in two days, not bad considering the guide gave us the option of bailing last week before we went up since the conditions were so iffy.

Here's a pic.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/arboladomtb/tri_07b.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Congratulations 'arbolado'

You did very well considering some were recommending staying home because it was so cold.

Who was your guide?

Thanks for the report and photo.

arbolado
01-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Our guide was Mike Hibbard out of Redding. He is a great guy and a lot of fun to fish with. These were my 2nd and 3rd floats with him and I wouldn't hessitate to recommend him. I am hoping to do the Lower Sac with him later in the summer.

If anyone wants his contact info, PM me and I will send it to you.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Mike will advise you best on the Lower Sac but April/May is a good time in the spring.

flyfshrmn
01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Isn't that the Rush Creek run? If so, it's about three hundred yards from my house up there. That fish looks mighty familiar as well. I hope you put him back for me.

arbolado
01-31-2007, 08:55 AM
I didn't think it was Rush Creek. We put in at Buck Tail and I thought that Rush Creek was farther up river. There was a creek that flowed into the south side of the river on the that run though. And yes I put the fish back for another day.

And Bill, I saw your post about April on the Lower Sac. It's just that after making two trips to the Trinity this winter I need to stay closer to home for awhile, think lower Owens. That's the unfortunate part about living down in Socal quality water is limited.

cbjuhr
01-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Looks like the Poker Bar hole to me, was there a new wood staircase being built?