PDA

View Full Version : Baum Lake

fallriverfish
01-27-2007, 09:56 AM
I guided Baum last week. Pretty ridiculous. Lots of rainbows and browns including 2 big wild fish. We landed well over 20 fish and that is with 1 client. Good streamer, nymphing and some dry fly opportunities.
The fish are all over the place so don't be scared to move away from the pac./Baum.jpg
Billy Downs

David Lee
01-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Baum sure is a beautiful place ......

I haven't been up that way in quite a while - I'll have to rectify that this year .

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks 'fallriverfish',

It seems to be a traditional winter fly fishing destination.

I guess a small boat or pontoon boat would be best now?

fallriverfish
01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Any small boat as long as it doesn't use gas. Electrics are fine and alot of anglers are using float tubes and pontoons. Row boats are good to because there is very little current.

jhaquett
02-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey fallriverfish, how do you know if a fish is wild at Baum Lake? Adipose fin attached? I've been fishing there alot and have been catching good sized fish (16-19"), I was curious if I had caught any wilds. Thanks.

andanb
02-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Most of the fish in baum are stocked fish. You can tell by the fins. Stocked trout do not have the adipose fin clipped like steelhead, but the tail and pectoral fins are chewed so that the edges don't have their natural shapes. If the fins don't look nearly perfect chances are it is a stocked fish. I have been up there twice this winter and had a great time. The first we caught too many fish to count almost all on small chironomids red and silver with a little peacock herl. The last time in the early afternoon there was an amazing bwo hatch and we killed them with a size 20 bwo. We also caught a few on nymphs and streamers with a olive soft hackle trailer. Great winter fishery.

jhaquett
02-24-2007, 12:21 AM
If its too much trouble don't worry about it, but do you think you could post a pic of your most succesful fly at Baum Lake? All I mostly catch them on are random nymphs, leeches, and glo bugs. I catch plenty of fish there but I don't always "tear them up", sometimes though. Thanks.