PDA

View Full Version : Spey or Switch Rod for the AR

BillPu
01-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Just spent a rather frustrating day on the AR for steelhead. It seems that a spey rod would allow me to fish waters that have no room for backcasts.

I want to take a Putnam spey class but wondered what the advantages of a switch rod are over the spey rod? I would be using it strictly for AR steelies and shad.

Thanks for any advice.

BTW it wasn't all that frustrating. Any day out on the river can't be all that bad. There were two other anglers out there and they were both using spey rods. :shock:

Bill

fineandfar
01-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Bill,
Theres a good thread on these rods right above yours here. Think a Spey or "Mini Spey" would be a great choice for what you're doing.
will j

Jeff Putnam
01-26-2007, 05:58 PM
The advantages of a spey rod or switch rod or any rod that is over 11 feet and has a second handle below the reel seat are numerous. Spey casting is just a term to describe the fly line laying on the water, forming a "D" shaped loop which provides tension or load. This can be done with any rod of any length, kinda like modified roll casting. When your rod is around 11 feet or more the "D" shaped loop that forms, provides way more load on the rod allowing the caster to acheive longer distances. This is the last reason to get into spey... here are the real ones:
1. No overhead flase casting to change direction, it takes my fly about 3-4 seconds to go from the hang-down at the end of the presentation to landing on the water for the next one, (longer amount of time spent with your fly in the water at the end of the day).
2. Longer rods provide more control for mending before and during the presentation, slowing down the swing, keeping the line straighter for a better contact with the fly, etc.
3. Since we use two hands to cast and cast less, there is way less fatigue at the end of the day (this has allowed many of my students to keep fishing a fly after having rotator cuff surgery).
4. Very little or no back cast room is necessary. (I caught my largest steelhead while fishing a run that had trees over hanging that I would have not been able to fish without a spey rod, it was 38" about 20 lbs!)
5. Looks as cool as hell!
Hope to see you soon, jp

BillPu
01-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I bought the Scott S3 from you 1.5 years ago. It's a great 7 wt. Now that I have had an opportunity to spend more time on the AR, I'm thinking of going with a spey rod.

Do you have any openings for your upcoming spey classes? I figure I have about 4-5 months to practice for shad season. :D

Thanks.

Bill

Jeff Putnam
01-29-2007, 10:26 PM
I teach a spey casting class the 3rd Sunday of every month on the American. Its a great opportunity to learn about spey casting and try out equipment. I limit the class to 4, it usually fills about a month in advanced. Private lessons are also an option. For more info check out my site. jp

BillPu
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi Jeff,

Sent you an email from your website regarding the Feb. class. I can also make the March one if the Feb is full.

Thanks.

Bill

J.R. Hubbard
02-07-2007, 10:33 AM
6. Chics dig spey casting

BillPu
02-07-2007, 05:17 PM
6. Chics dig spey casting

Well heck JR, signed for one of Jeff's classes on the spot because of you. :D

So when do the chicks show up???? :lol: