PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco or Amador?

JerryInLodi
01-24-2007, 07:00 AM
I'm taking a new fly fisher for his first shot at trout. (not guiding, just fishing) I haven't fished for trout since last May and don't keep up on the planter lakes. Which is fishing better right now, Rancho Seco or Amador?

Thanks!

Darian
01-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Let's talk about rancho first. At this time of year, the air/water temps are cold and it will be breezy. Rancho is stalked with trout at this time of year and, supposedly, there're tagged Trout associated with $ rewards. Fish are spread out. Lot's of room to fly fish out of a pram/canoe, etc. No outboards allowed. Unless it's recently changed, there's a small fee for fishing ($4.00 I think). Possibility of a large Black Bass and some very respectable Crappie, too....

Amador is in less exposed (breezy). Lots of very large Trout from the hatchery below the dam. Air/water temps are cold. The fee for fishing is expensive and, it seems there's a fee for everything over there. Bait is available (if necessary). Outboards are allowed and a good launch ramp's available.

Now, IMHO, if you want a shot at larger fish, I'd pick Amador (right now). 8) 8) 8)

Terry Thomas
01-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Rancho has been pretty slow as of late. I would head to Amador. If you are looking for lots of shots, Amador is an easy choice.
T.

JerryInLodi
01-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Good, Amador it is! I like Amador much better anyway, as you said Darian, less wind! I forgot about the no motors thing on Rancho Seco as well which pretty much seals the deal since I think we're going in a bass boat. If I remember, there's a 5mph limit at Amador?

Now all I have to do is go digging in the garage for my five weights and my type II lines. Oh yeah, also need to tie up a pile of olive woolly buggers.

Since we've had almost no rain I'd expect the water to be unusually clear, Amador in years past, used to fill up with mud in the late winter.

Used to be some smallies up the creek arms. Are they still there?

Darian, bait? What's bait. I'll already be using the power bait of fly fishing, an olive woolly bugger. What else would a person want? Well I guess I could spray a little crawdad juice on it.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of Greg with his first trout and if so, post them.