PDA

View Full Version : Our top selling reel for the past year is the Orvis.........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-23-2007, 12:12 PM
http://images.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/72ELF6FF.jpg

...........fully machined, anodized Battenkill Mid Arbor III @ $119 USD.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?dir%5Fid=758&group%5Fid=768&cat%5Fid=7908&subcat%5Fid=7909&pf%5Fid=72ER

JerryInLodi
02-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Bill, when you set the Orvis side by side with the Redington CD they appear exactly the same. Will the spools interchange?

As I understand it, the Orvis is slightly cheaper than the Redington.

One complaint, the 9/10 version of both reels seem a little skimpy on the amount of backing that can be loaded onto the reel with a full line. I'm not sure if I'd like to face a 40 pound dorado with only 100 yards of 30# backing on my reel.

I'm going to strip off the standard fly line backing and put on some of the new small diameter, high poundage line and see if I can double the amount of backing to two hundred yards.

jbird
02-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Jerry

The GD redington is discontinued. Theyre getting harder and harder to find. But they are usually dirt cheap. I dont know if the spools interchange...I really doubt it. The GD drag is silky smooth but has little stopping power. I dont think I'd mess with bluewater fish with one. They are mid arbor design so I found it possible to put a whole bunch of spectra backing on my 7/8 GD.

Jay

PS There are a few online stores offering spare GD spools for under $50.

Hairstacker
02-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Jay, uh, I believe Jerry was referring to the Redington CD model, not the GD. I do seem to recall others saying the Orvis Mid-arbor, Redington CD, and Pflueger Trion are all built on the same platform and that their spools are interchangeable?

jbird
02-01-2007, 05:50 PM
oops! My bad. I should rub my eyes clear before I read posts :D

Jay

JerryInLodi
02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Mike, you're right. I just saw a Pflueger and I would swear that all of them were made in the same factory. I'd sure like to try swapping spools just to see!

Jbird, you're waaaaaayyyy too young to claim middle-aged-itis.

Darian
02-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I believe it was Tony Buzolich who first commented on the similarities of these reels.... 8) 8) Maybe he'll get into this to provide some info.... :D :D

Tony Buzolich
02-02-2007, 12:06 AM
As well as I can remember, I think I did try to interchange several and they swapped just fine.

Obviously, these are all made at the same plant somewhere in ? Korea? China? ???? somewhere and with only slight cosmetic differences they are able to be sold to numerous companies under different brand names and prices. Bill mentioned in an earlier post about using better needle bearings in some of the one way clutches and this may be but I wouldn't doubt if they interchange too.

I noticed this design as a Cabela's brand too.

It's all just a marketing plan and any of these reels really are a great value. All fully machined 6061 aluminum with disc drags for around a $100.00 give or take a buck or two.

What I have noticed is the differences in the disc drags as you move up a notch or two even though the frames seem almost identical. The new Redington CD which replaces the Brakewater has a very large disc drag compared to the Pflueger Trion and others. This is a substantially greater surface area and definitely a higher performance feature worth the few extra bucks.
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-02-2007, 02:01 AM
I did not read all the post above.

The Redington would be a better salt water reel because it has a better one way Japanese Koyo needle bearing and a better drag (cork) than the Orvis.

In fresh water they are both fairly equal.

Others like Pflueger use this same "platform" but the bearing and drag are not very good.

Rob
05-26-2007, 05:21 AM
I seem to have the worst Luck !!! :( :o

When I took my M.A. Orvis Reel to Alaska . The second day something got into the drag and locked it up solid. :twisted: Had to take it apart so I could continue fishing . Never did get it clean. :? when I got back I sent it to Orvis for repair and 1 month later they returned it . It is still as rough as when I sent it in . They did not cure the problem , not sure if they even took it apart. The reel now sits in my closet . Its usable but I just no longer like the way it feels. Very disappointed that the drag is not sealed better and the condition of the reel when returned from being ( ?) repaired. :twisted: Sorry about the negative report but very disappointed !! :twisted: :twisted:

Rob
05-26-2007, 05:56 AM
I just called Orvis and got another repair #.

They promised to return the reel as good as new this time.
:D
What ever you do , do not set the reel on the bottom in any sand or rocks for a photo . :? This is a photo of my reel setting on the bottom just before it jammed up !! :twisted: :twisted: A small Dolly Warden .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Kodiak%20trip/Alaska043.jpg

Hairstacker
05-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience Rob. They obviously fell down on that one but I'm sure they'll make it right. I've only dealt with the Orvis company store in Palo Alto on a couple of rod and reel issues and their service was absolutely impeccable. In fact, more than I expected on both.

Rob
05-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience Rob. They obviously fell down on that one but I'm sure they'll make it right. I've only dealt with the Orvis company store in Palo Alto on a couple of rod and reel issues and their service was absolutely impeccable. In fact, more than I expected on both.

I think they will do it right this time. :) The girl i talked to, said she would make a note ,for them to replace the drag . :) The reel looks like it should seal very well but something go into the drag . It was one of the smoothest reels i had until I took it to Alaska . :? I really like the mid-arbor .

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-26-2007, 11:23 PM
We have sold hundreds of the new Mid Arbor Battenkills for two years now with no returns or complaints so it's not a very common issue. If they had any inherent problems we would surely be sending then back for repairs.

Actually we have sold a ton of Orvis reels for many years with very little problems which is quite shocking for low to mid-priced fly reels.

Rob
05-27-2007, 05:54 PM
We have sold hundreds of the new Mid Arbor Battenkills for two years now with no returns or complaints so it's not a very common issue. If they had any inherent problems we would surely be sending then back for repairs.

Actually we have sold a ton of Orvis reels for many years with very little problems which is quite shocking for low to mid-priced fly reels.

I was very surprised to have a problem with mine !! :D
We also have two Battenkill reels that have been great . I had sand get in the gears of the drag in them , but you just remove the spool and flush them out in the river and your good to go . :D This one for some reason got a peace of sand in the drag and locked up solid. I tried to open it up and flush it like you can the Battenkills but nothing. I was able to finally brake it loose, but ever since you can hear and feel it grinding in side. So tomorrow I will be sending it in to Orvis again.

Rob
07-18-2007, 05:01 PM
:D :D

I just got my reel back from Orvis and it good as new. :D

Rob
07-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Well i spoke too soon !!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I have not used my reel sense it was returned the second time and
Cody was looking at it and informed me that it still had a grinding sound in side the reel when the drag was set. So i looked at it again and he was right. So i told Cody that i can probably repairer it my self and was tiered of returning it . :( I removed the first screw in the center if the nob for the drag and the second screw was stripped completely :twisted: and no way you could put a crew driver in it !! So for the 3rd time and last i will be calling Orvis in the am. The last time they promised me that they would replace all the parts for the drag , but the pitted parts are still visible on the reel . I even told them i would buy the parts . :roll: Sorry about the negative feedback on the reel but this will be the last Orvis product i will ever buy . I give up !!!!!! :(

Rob
07-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Well i just called Orvis again , and i am sending my reel in for the third time :roll: and they said they will sent me a new reel . :D

jbird
07-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Rob

Its a shame it sometimes comes to this with customer service. You have to tell them "You've just lost a customer" before they do the right thing.

I have had a lot of trouble with Scott customer service, They are notorious for slow turnaround on repairs. The last time I broke my scott. I called them to tell them how disapointed I was in the 10 week turnaround the last time. To make a long story short, rather than repairing the broken section, they sent me a new rod in 4 days.

Jay