PDA

View Full Version : Wader question

Flycanoe
01-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I have a pair of Hodgman waist high breathable waders that I bought last spring and I've used them about 6 times now and the seam in the crotch area is already leaking. Hodgman has agreed to replace them as they are still under warranty, but after I get the replacement I will save them for occasional light duty applications.

So now I want to get a pair of heavy duty high end chest high breathable waders which are a lot more expensive. My question is how long will the seams last on these higher end waders? When I look at their seams, they all look like the same basic sewn construction. Do the seams on any breathable waders really hold up and last with a lot of walking and wading?

hookedupanglers
01-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Flycanoe,

I find that the simms Guide mdl waders last about 2-3 years. That is baised on about 75-100 days a year fishing. It all depends on how often you fish. If its ony 20 times a year the simms waders would cost you about $5.50 per trip over a four year span. When you think of it in those terms, its not that much money over the long term.

I have not used any of the other brands, but Im sure the are all good.

If your are not dry and comfortable, you will not enjoy your experiance on the water.

Flycanoe
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. So are you talking about the guide classic wader shown at the link below or the G3 or G4 wader?

http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_DETAILS&CAT=waders&PROD.ID=52549

hookedupanglers
01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
I still have the classic mld for a back up pair. They have a patch from a fence i was crossing, but no leaks. I have had them for around 6 years.

I have been wearing the g3 wader now for 3+ years, and am holding off on the g4 until i know the zipper will work for sure.

Below bill mentioned the classic guide mdle being on sale.

.........for 2007 so we have the 2006 models in the shop at 30% off now.

$329.00 x -30% =$230 (~$100 off)

Call first to see if we have your size and have them hold them till you get there.

The 2007 are going to be $359.
Sacramento, CA 95821
Open 7 days a week
800/400-0359 USA toll free
916/486-9958 local shop
530/400-1439 cell
530/753-5267 home

Thanks for participating

flygolf
01-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Patagonia. I have bought 2 pairs of Simms (Guide and G3) Both leaked within a year. The Guide leaked the first two days of use in two different areas. Patagonia's lasted 3 years before my first leak and they replaced with new. My 2 cents

Moose
01-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I've been wearing Patagonia Watermaster waders for 2 years now with no issues. They are extremely comfortable and have a suspender system that snaps in at points near the waist rather than the chest which just seems to be a lot more comfortable. Best waders I've ever worn. They are (to my thinking) good heavy duty winter waders, I'm considering something lighter in a waist high for summer wear.

bigtj
01-22-2007, 01:28 PM
The topic of what waders to buy is one that usually is hotly contested. Ask 5 guys get 5 different answers. That being said, I would get the Simms classic guides or the Dan Bailey's guides or lightweights. I get up to 200 days on my simms guides and I am on my 6th pair. I started using these waders in 1997 when I was a guide in Alaska and have always been happy with them and never had a problem with seams only the neoprene bootie wearing out. I've heard of too many problems with the G3's to trust them.

I have heard really good things about the Dan Bailey's, especially the lightweights being good value for the money, but I don't have the pesonal experience with them. Our local shop (Reno fly shop) has had a lot of problems with the Patagonias lately but from what I've heard they are decent waders, too. Personally I would get the Simms Guides they are great waders.

bp
01-24-2007, 04:06 PM
use the Dan Bailey's lightweits. have for 3+ years. were recommended to me by several guides with comments like they are at least the wader that the simms guides are, but less expensive. difference i think is that they do not use Gore Tex so can keep the price down. push come to shove, if you have a problem (little late i guess) then all of the companies mentioned will replace them for you.

if you're really concerned about any particular trip - bring a back up.

bp

fallriverfish
01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
I have bought about 5 pairs of guide waders from simms. They gave us a bro deal on the g3's 3 years ago and those leaked also. I like patagonia because I like the company, those leak to. I spend about 50-70 days guiding on the pit and nothing really holds up to blackberries. Go with what is comfortable, Hodgeman is giving you a brand new pair, I would be surprised if simms ever did that. I know Orvis will replace waders also and so will Cabelas(they make great stuff and stand by it). Simms has the name and fancy adds but their customer service has something to be desired. If you want to look cool buy simms if you really fish alot then buy some aquaseal.

BSD
01-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Don't leave out LL Bean

I bought a pair pf their waders for $99 and they were good for two years. That's when one of the seams started going but they sent me a new pair right away and all I had to do was put the old ones in the box and use their return label.

I have always been happy with the products and service from LL Bean.

Brian

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-26-2007, 12:12 PM
It is nice to be able to try on waders to get a really good fit. Sometimes people try on several different sizes, brands and models to get a good fit.

I think the neoprene foot fit is number one for me.

Second would be the leg length.

Then after that it would be the wading boot fit to the waders neoprene foot (with me in them, naturally).

There are no industry standards in wader sizes.

We all dream about the '$99 breathable wader' that fits and doesn't leak.

After selling waders for 42 years I am not interested in that low end market place. Too many returns and unhappy people.

The new Simms G4 waders are $700 USD and I can guarantee you that the shops won't be able to keep them in stock.

For many, waders are a very important part of their fly fishing experience.

I believe that Simms is the only manufacturer of breathable waders in the USA (using Gore-Tex).