PDA

View Full Version : Which 4 weight?

Moose
01-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I've decided that the next rod I'm going to buy is going to be a 4 weight, a dry fly rod for waters like the Carson and the forks of the American. I'm leaning heavily towards the Scott G2 8'8" 4 weight with a Galvan torque reel. The other rod I'm considering is the Winston WT 8 1/2 foor 4 weight. Would love to hear feedback on these or any other of your fav 4's.

(As a point of clarification, I'm not at all interested in a "fast" rod, already have that. Looking for a sweet, relaxed dry fly rod)

East Fork
01-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Try a Sage SLT, can't go wrong.

chicoflyguy
01-22-2007, 06:20 PM
I would try the CFS line of rods from the Chico Fly shop, or the performance ply from the chico fly shop. They are reasonably priced, have good actions, and are very durable for brush busting. Also I might recommend saving your money on the Galvan, most fish you will be fishing for on a 4 weight you should be fine palming the reel, I doubt you would need the Galvan stop a freight train typ drag. I dont know what they call them now but the used to be the Ross Colorado, used to be under $150. You could possibly save enough to buy another rod, or at least two tips for the 4 weight. Good luck. Chico Fly shop at 1530-345-9983, ask for Jon or Larry.

Paul B.
01-22-2007, 07:43 PM
I'll second east fork's recomendation. The slt is the best light line graphite rod avaliabe now. Beautiful smooth action. Unless you want to look at split cane or glass that would be the way to go. Paul

Moose
01-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm looking at slower, relaxed rods like the Winston WT or Scott G2, but I am glad to hear what everyones favorites are. I'm not at all a Sage fan (I've thrown the SLT, different strokes, I guess). I'm not trying to save money and whatever I buy will come from Kiene's. The little 3 inch Galvan torque definitely wouldn't be overkill although the drag wouldn't be a necessity, and the reel is palmable. I was also considering a Hardy click and pawl reel, but the Torque would look so sweet on the G2 and it's a fine reel!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-23-2007, 01:10 AM
I think I would look at the Sage Z-Axis 8'6" #4 - 4 pc.

I think 8'6" #4 is a great size for where you described fishing.

There are too many choices.

J.R. Hubbard
01-23-2007, 10:42 AM
I 2nd what Bill said. The Z-Axis rods are just as good as it gets. I have a couple and they fish soooooo well, I just can't imagine better.

bigtj
01-23-2007, 11:07 AM
The Scott is a good choice, the Winston is a fantastic rod as well. The Sage Z-axis would be, too, if you like faster-action rods. The Scott/Winston models you are looking at have much different characteristics than any Sage, except perhaps the TXL's. Go out there and cast a few different rods and see what you like best.

Now one thing to keep in mind...for the Carson and forks of the American I think that a 4-wt should be a good rod for nymphing, as the dry-fly fishing can be intermittent except at the higher elevations. If you are fishing bigger water, and pushing that 4-wt by using indicators at a distance, I think the Z-axis will be the best rod for that. However, if you are a dry-fly nut, you might enjoy a more moderate action rod like a Winston or the Scott. It's really hard to beat a G or WT for a dry line, small dries, a long leader, and fishing coming to the top.

In the end you will be very happy with any of these rods. The only thing I could say is that if you do end up with a Scott or Winston, you might consider teaming it with a click and pawl reel instead of someting with a monster disk drag. I think that the Hardy LRH is a great match and I believe that Bill has them in the shop or can get them for you. In my book there is something special about moderate action rods and traditional reels.

Good luck on your decision, you can't go wrong.

Rick J
01-23-2007, 01:04 PM
I love the original G series Scotts for trout and think the G2's come close.

Sage used to have a light line series that was a great rod with moderate action and think they have re-released that rod as another series - Bill?? Do you know?

Sounds like the z-axis are maybe a softer feel and may also be a good choice.

Moose
01-23-2007, 05:28 PM
I believe that was the Sage SP Rick. That's actually the only sage trout rod I've thrown that I ever cared for (their spey rods are pretty nice, especially the green Euro blanks).

I've fished the Carson and the A with a 4 weight bamboo a bunch and never felt under gunned. I do not throw big indicators (ever! Bobbers are for kids and nightcrawlers :lol: ) so have no worries about the slower G2 or WT being pushed. Actually, I've often felt that a graphite 5 weight was kind of overkill on those waters. Any rod that you can cast accurately out to 60 feet with is all you need to cover most sierra rivers. On smaller waters like the Silver fork, a 7 1/2 to 8 foot 3 weight is ideal.

This should probably be a new thread, "How do you like to fish Sierra streams and rivers" or some such header. Might make for good a winter discussion being as many trouters are deep into the winter shack nasties by now.

Good turnout here, enjoying it. Basically I'm thinking I'll show up at Kiene's big april parking lot bash with cash in hand and throw both rods a bunch (for the final time!) and throw the cash down on the one that rings my bell. As a buildup to that I am trying to get as much feedback as possible, good and bad, as to my possible choices, such as they are. I'm pretty much decided on the G2 884-4 and then later, maybe an 8 foot 3 weight WT for the smaller streams, but between now and then, who knows.

bigtj
01-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Moose,

All good stuff. I nymphed a lot with my G 883-4 (1st generation) and my 9' 3-wt Im6. Although I didn't ever feel too "pushed", I will say that a 490-4 XP is a "nymphing machine" in comparison. If you've never tried nymphing with an XP, or the updated z-axis, just try it some time. You wil be surprised how effortless it is compared to the older-style, moderate action rods. Still, the Sages, IMO, don't match that nice slower-paced action of the scotts and the winstons, that make dry-fly fishing a dream.

Have fun with your new purchase and let us know how it goes.

jbird
01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
The Scott A2 is one of the sweetest rods I've ever cast. They come in a huge range of weights and sizes. They are a medium fast rod and are as light as air. They have an 8' 4wt, it weighs 2.8oz. I use the 10' 7wt and it is a steelhead machine.

Jay

SteelieD
01-23-2007, 09:47 PM
jbird has it right!! I use a Scott A2 904. It's my go to trout rod. Cast 'em all. Buy what you like.

Adam Grace
02-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Long time no talk guys!

I own and L-O-V-E my Scott 8'8" 4wt G-Series rod!

My most favorite of all my rods!

Ever since I cast the new 9'4wt G2 I have wanted that rod. It is lighter but still as sensitive as my own. I like the extra softness of the 9' G2 compared to the slightly stiffer/stouter 8'8" G2 4wt. The G2 is one of the finest trout rods for my style of fishing. It is lightweight, delicate enough to lightly control my fly line and fly, yet powerful enough to cast those occassional neccessary long distances. Perfect for my type of casting and fishing; I prefer to fish on top but I do tend to nymph as well. The 9' length helps airialize the line when fishing dries as well as control the line as I mend and control my drift while I nymph. The softer tip allows me to make soft mends in the line in the air or on the water. What a beautiful fishing tool for light to moderate trout fishing.

I really enjoy faster rods like the z-axis while fishing rods 5-6wt and larger for the power that they posess, but for my more finesse fishing give me a rod that has MORE feeling and subtle control.

dtp916
02-09-2007, 02:50 AM
I've always been a Sage caster, but now i'm leaning towards Scott. I'd get the G2 in a heartbeat :D

flygolf
02-09-2007, 09:59 AM
I would agree with everyones post so far about all the rods except the Chico one but thats because I have never cast one. I, like Adam love my original G series 4 but since casting the new G2 am looking at one of those. Super light in the hand and a great rod to play fish on.

Adam Grace
02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
It's nice to hear that you guys agree with me. There are plenty of nice rods out there but those G2 rods are my idea of the perfect fly rod for trout.