PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the Lower Yuba

casacel2
01-19-2007, 09:31 AM
I am new to the area and was looking to get a report/some tips for the lower Yuba. I was planning on trying to get a few flies wet this weekend but have never been to this river before. I found a good guide that shows the access points online but was wondering how it has been fishing the last couple weeks. Anything will help: techniques, patterns, insider info, whatever.

Thanks ahead of time guys.

MSP
01-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Haven't been up there for about 3 weeks and haven't heard of any reports lately. The last couple of times out there was a BWO hatch that came off around 1:00. Not too many fish rising to them but the ones I saw were catchable. Not much help I know. I'm thinking of getting back up there soon, since I can't seem to get any biters on the "A". Good luck and let us know how it was.

hookedupanglers
01-19-2007, 10:04 AM
The water has been up and down the last few weeks. The fishing seems to be best @ 1,500 cfs when it holds for a few days. Not much on the surface, but a birds nest, bird of prey, PT and stone flies will always catch fish, We have been doing well below sycamore rv park in the afternoon.

I have heard that the fishing above the 20 bridge is good, but have not fished it this year.

Flycanoe
01-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I fished the stretch above hwy 20 at the UCD facility by special permit with my fly club last Sat. The fishing was very slow with only a few bites and brief hookups, but no fish landed that I heard of from about a dozen or so fly fishers. There was a BWO hatch at midday, but no surface feeding until after 2pm, but even then the fish were very selective.