PDA

View Full Version : Big Bad Swapflies are done !!

David Lee
01-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Here ya go (sorry they are fuzzy .... :oops: )

First ..... Blanton's Fatal Attraction - kind of like a fire-tiger Rapala . These should be ideal for covering the water .... searching for Bass .
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/P1130004.JPG

Second ..... my DDC flyrod jig (Damsel version) . Tyed for drop-fishing the weed edges using a floating line .
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/P1130006.JPG

I'll post the recipes tomorrow .

David :D

mike N
01-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Nice.

David Lee
01-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks , Mike !

I thought I'd do something different than I would 'normally' do - The Fatal Attraction is a fly not often seen , so I thought it would be a cool choice .

Hook - E.C. Sproat for plastic worms .... 1/0 or 2/0 (EC 254 seaguard in 1/0 would be a good one , as well)

Thread - 6/0 Uni , orange and FWN , Chartruse

Tail - Gold and Copper Firefly , 40 strands mixed

Body - Chartruse Diamond Braid .

Wing - Chart. Bucktail , w/ metallic green KF

Collar - Orange neck hackle

The DDC (Damsel , Dragon , Crawfish) jig is one of mine - a late-spring/summer fly for throwing up against weed edges . Use a dry line for this one , and a heavy tippet . Toss it out and do nothing (watch that line tip !)

Hook - EC 413 , #2

Eyes - Non-toxic , 1/50 oz.

Thread - 3/0 , green

Tail - tuff of Glo-Bug yarn , Chartruse

Legs/Tail feelers - Pumpkin Green Sili-Legs

Body - Olive/Brown Polar Chennile

I can't wait for the rest of the Swapflies to get here !!!

David :evil:

mike N
01-14-2007, 12:10 AM
I was under the impression we were only doing one set, not two?

I guess the swap master will have to rule on this one.

MN

David Lee
01-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Two are optional , Mike ....

I have time on my hands .... so , I did two .

mike N
01-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Since I added the stinger, mine took twice a long as usual to tie. I'm only tying one. Then again who knows what will happen over the next few weeks. Maybe I'll get a wild hair and decide to spin it into poppers. :-)

MN

SullyTM
01-14-2007, 08:14 AM
David...Very nice! Nothing like having time on your hands :D

Only one set of flies is needed! It's appreciated, but it is not necessary to go overboard.

Thanks.

Thom

Darian
01-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Whooooaaaa..... After looking at those photo's, think I need some dramamine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good lookin' flies.... Your pattern looks very good for "Crik Bass". Lotsa stuff in it for action in the water.... After all of the hype on Blanton's site, I'm really interested in the Fatal Attraction.... 8) 8) 8)

Hairstacker
01-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Those look great David! Bass will love 'em. 8)

David Lee
01-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys !

The Fatal Attraction ...... I spent most of my life using spinning gear - my favorite lures were Spinnerbaits , worms , and fire-tiger Rapalas . That Rapala accounted for more Bass/Sunfish than I can remember , so I thought I'd sort-out a fly that would look and fish the same way .

I tyed a smaller Blue/White one quite a while back and was pretty suprised at how many times it was eaten - while the fly looks kind of silly (I prefer flies that actually look like a specific food item ...) , there's few things that look as 'alive' as that flashtail thumpin' away on the retrieve . These are tyed pretty large (3 inches) but are slim , so they will cast well . The flashtails are flexamented to the half-way point , to avoid fouling . I'd throw them on a I line , or a type 2-4 shooting head - I think they will be perfect for blind casting ...... just chuck 'em and cover the water .

I didn't bother to look at the recipe .... so they are tyed 'wrong' - the hackle collar is supposed to be wrapped BEFORE the wing is tyed in .

I don't think the fish will mind a bit .

The DDC flyrod jig is something I've been working on for a few years now . I have found that sometimes Bass DON'T want any sort of retrieve - just something that wiggles a bit while dropping . You can tye these in different colors to give the impression of a Damsel , or Dragonfly Nymph , or Crawfish - by tying different sizes , w/ lighter or heavier eyes , you can change the drop rate .

I like to fish them using a floating line .... with a 10-14 foot leader . Tippet size will affect the sink rate , so I use between 8-15 lb. test points . Strikes will come in a number of ways .... The most common is a 'skid' - the line tip will twitch forewards while the DDC is sinking . Quite often , you won't see any movement at the tip - you tighten up and there's a 'mushy' feeling .... set hard !! Sometimes .... they just yank it .

Mind you , there are plenty of good Bass flies out there - I don't think there's any ONE that will cover all conditions - these two cover specific situations . The Fatal Attraction will cover water better than most , and works in clear and stained water - the DDC will catch inactive Bass in clear water ..... fish that don't want to chase anything .

Use the right tool for the job .

Sturmer White
01-14-2007, 03:55 PM
David
You are right on in your comments.
Good job on both.
Sturm