PDA

View Full Version : Z-axis spey rods

PaulC
01-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Has anyone tried out the Sage Z-axis spey rods? Their shorter 6wt looked interesting for some of the areas I frequent. Could even be fun for the summer surf.
-Paul

Jeff Putnam
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
The Z-Axis spey rods are similar in design and action to previous Sage models but with a lighter feel. They are about 1/4 to 1/2 ounce lighter than older models. The result is a "lite-in-the-hand" sensitive, European spey rod action. The 12'6" #6 is a full flexing taper design that is nice for floating lines and fighting fish. Requires a smooth-progressive power stroke to avoid tailing loops. This rod will flex into the handle when casting. This dose not make for a good overhead casting rod in the wind or surf. It will handle shorter sinktips from 5-10 feet well. Great American-Trinity rod and rivers where fish average 4-8 lbs. This rod responds well when casting 50-70 feet, distances of 100'+ are possible and not too demanding. The best line match I found was a CND 5/6 Gravity Point Spey Line, a Rio 6/7/8 Windcutter felt better than the Windcutter 5/6. Good luck, jp

Jasonh
01-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Paul, i have fished both the new z axis 6126 and the older 6126 model. I prefer the older 6126 because it seems to handle tips little better and is not quite as soft in the tip as the new one. I think the z axis will be a good full floater line but the old one is definately better for throwing tips. I wouls give it a try before you buy it.

bigtj
01-15-2007, 03:41 PM
I think a 6126 would be too heavy for most surf fish in S. California excluding perhaps only large halibut. You can get distance with these rods but you will feel silly fighting a 1-lb surf perch on this rod.

I am bummed to hear about the softer tip on the latest z-axis. I really liked the old 6126 it's a shame they changed the action.

Jeff Putnam
01-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Here is a good example of the Z-Axis (9143-4) spey rod actions. jp
http://jpflyfishing.com/groupclasses/castingclasses/images/casting_speyrod.gif

PaulC
01-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the photo. I've been researching around quite a bit, I'm an engineer and can't help it.
It sounds like for something to tackle the surf species and use on a river, I might want something with a stiffer tip than the z-axis to pick line up out of the surf?
I've been looking at Meiser sticks quite a bit and have heard great things about them. Anyone have any experience with those rods?
Bob mentioned a 12'6" 6/7 MKS that would probably be a good overall match for me getting into it in fresh and salt.
As with all rods, there's tons of choices out there....
-Paul

sculpin
01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Paul
You should have Bob send you a MKS to try out in the surf . They were designed to throw skagit lines so I'm sure they would also do a great job with shooting heads in the surf . Also ask Bob about the Beulah line of rods that he has had some input on the design of . Don't forget Gary Anderson as a source of great rods either and I believe Kiene's handles them . We are very lucky to have such great rod builders here in the Rogue Valley .

Mark