PDA

View Full Version : completed my winter project

slipjoint
01-11-2007, 01:40 PM
i completed re-freshing my Boston Whaler 13 last night - i won't call it a restore but it very close to one - i bought this boat this winter from a 97 year old gentleman in Sacramento - been setting outside but "under a tarp" most of it life - shows little use but very dirty - but thanks to a my power washer - buffer - refinished wood the old girl cleaned up pretty good for a 1981 - purr's like a kitten - i added new seats & ordered a bow rail from Ray at Martin Marine (good people) a 50 MinKota (I cut about a foot off the shaft) Wired in my GPS - it already had a fish locater on the boat, i just had to raise it up a few inches to be able to see it - so i'm good to go - get pretty warm here in N CA so i guess i'll order a Bimini top for a final touch - tom
PS take a peek - if you like old boats you might enjoy this one -

http://www.picturetrail.com/tomhudson

Nip Hadlock
01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
She sure is Yar, (if that's the right expression) :oops:
Great job! 8)

lee s.
01-11-2007, 07:28 PM
GRAND little vessel, for sure! :)
We have a Montauk 17 that we removed ALL verticle extending paraphanalia (antennas and such) from. Made for a much nicer platform to flycast from. :wink:
....lee s.

slipjoint
01-11-2007, 07:43 PM
i added the bow rail for a little extra saftey because i do take the kids & grandkids out - i also enjoy fly fishing thats why i kept the front a clean as i could - my last whaler i installed a nice seat & a foot opperated electric motor up foward - made a great little bass boat! - i stick with the 13 because it will fit in my garage - i would have a Montauk if it would fit in the garage

lee s.
01-11-2007, 08:38 PM
The rails are a must here also. :wink:
Strange that you mention the garage......ours is the 17' for exactly the same reason. :lol:

slipjoint
01-11-2007, 10:07 PM
The rails are a must here also. :wink:
Strange that you mention the garage......ours is the 17' for exactly the same reason. :lol:

if i would get rid of a bike & a Mod.T i guess i guess i could go a little bigger -park the boat in a little sideways - i don't drive the T that much but i get a large amount of enjoyment out of just looking at the darn thing - 80 years old & still has the orginal paint! & it is fun to drive when your not in any hurry :) - i can launch the 13 so easy by myself i guess i'll hang in there with it - tommy

PS - my wife says we could buy a football dome & she still wouldn't have room to park her car inside :P

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-11-2007, 10:20 PM
You did a fine job on that boat.

Those old Boston Whalers are very popular everywhere. Many on the east and west coast of the US.

I have seen many 13'ers and many 17' Montauks but only a few 15' models.

Ted "Doc" Cedar has a 15' he bought new many years ago. It came with a 70hp Evinrude which he replaced once with another of the same and then now has a Mercury 60hp FI 4 stroke on it.

My friend Neil Hanson has a 13' model with a 35hp Evinrude. Great 1 or 2 person fishing boat.

The 17' Montauk is a cult boat over at Lawson's Landing. In the summer there are dozens of them around on the weekends. I think they were rated for 90hp?

slipjoint
01-12-2007, 10:10 AM
i agree Bill - 2 people can fish out of a 13 pretty good - another thing - they are so easy to launch - i have several friends with big dollar aluminum jet boats - they have their place for sure but their not for me reguardless of the dollars - this is my second 13 - i fished off a 15 one time in seattle - very nice size - tom